“They” always say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. However, I’m hoping I’ve already paved a clear path to my hubby’s heart as three years ago today he proposed to me in the most perfect way – with a Valentine heart-shaped ring from atop a deliciously sweet cupcake.
Regardless of already winning over each others’ hearts, it’s important – Valentine’s Day or not – to make sure we continue to demonstrate our love. Married folk can all agree … it’s not always easy. But, I’m here to say just because it’s not always easy doesn’t mean you have to overthink it either. An expression of love doesn’t have to come with a hefty price tag or elaborate plan (although I won’t turn away a sparkly surprise if given one!) Ultimately it’s the little things that count … and those little things can add up wonderfully – like leaving a sweet note where and/or when your significant other would least expect it. Or even sharing the thoughts in your head … if he/she looks good, tell them! Compliments, sweet notes and/or gestures can go a long way to remind the special person in your life that they still light your fire after so many years.
However you choose to express your love to your partner is ultimately up to you and your style. The important part is that you do something no matter how busy, how tired or how stressed. Stop making excuses and make the time!
And, if the love of your life has a sweet tooth just like mine, here’s a last minute, quick and easy way to warm their heart … literally.
Instant chocolate cake*
1. Whisk 1/4 cup flour, 5 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 egg, 3 tbsp milk, 3 tbsp vegetable oil and a dash of vanilla extract and salt in a large mug until smooth. Optional – I used a Valentine’s day themed mug I purchased from Target. The inside bottom of the mug says “I love you” (now cue the awww’s..)
2. Microwave until puffed about 2 mins. Sprinkle w/ more cocoa powder and serve up the warm chocolatey goodness to your sweetie tomorrow!
Just a few helpful sides notes…
• I’ve found a spoon works better to mix up the ingredients… either the mug wasn’t big enough or my whisk wasn’t small
• The mug is hot… really hot, so be careful!
• This recipe is good, but the addition of a fudge or other sweet topping would make it even better!
* This recipe was found in Food Network Magazine, April 2011